My Photo
Name:
Location: Oak Lawn, IL

Friday, July 31, 2009

Early July 08 DMV


Hi Everybody!
I finally got my own computer up and running. Now I get to sit in the one room of the house that we call "the office". I am getting it set up the way I always wanted. There is a walk in closet in the room and I have it full of photos. Probably a few thousand. Somehow I wound up with Aunt Rita's slides. I was going through some of them over the weekend and found her pictures from the cruise she took with Aunt Gert to Europe. Her pictures of Paris were particularly nice. Having just been there myself I was impressed with the quality of her photos. I am setting up my scanner and slide viewer, so once it all gets going I'll post some pictures on my Flickr site.

I applied for my Texas driver's license yesterday. The woman who processed my forms asked if Texas was the only state where I had not previously had a DL. Turns out it is the 6th different state I will have a driver's license in. Dosen't count Illinios twice either. After going through all the nonsense they gave me a paper form and told me my license would be mailed to me. So I have a "temporary" license with no photo. Kind of like the old NJ licenses. They have a computer system in the DMV office that reminded me of the early 1980's. Slow, monochrome, ancient looking devices. But hey! there's no state income tax! Of course the sales tax is almost 7% (it might be more), Real estate taxes are 3% of assessed value and I am sure there's a bunch more that I just haven't come across.

It finally rained here for a few days. In the last 5 days we've had 2+ inches depending on your location. When it rains it gets extrememly humid. The temps drop a bit but it stays very uncomfortable.

Sherry's granddaughter Patience will be leaving us on Saturday. The fun of being a grandparent kind of gets drained a bit when there is no parent around. It is a lot like work in fact. But she is precious and very verbal so for a 3 year old it is easy to get her to do things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home