My Photo
Name:
Location: Oak Lawn, IL

Friday, July 07, 2006

Unacknowledged Sacrifice


I am not "link"savvy. I may have posted a link to a Washington post Op Ed piece that ran on Wednesday July 7th, 2006. I may not have posted it. In the event I did not, it is a piece written by F. John Duresky. He is a Captain in the Air Force currently serving in Iraq. The Captain writes about daily occurrences in Iraq and compares them to daily events in the US. It is apparent to the Captain that the overwhelming majority of citizens in the US are bored with news of the war and just want to move on with their lives as if there is no war. ( Please read the article. The Captain writes far more effectively than I.)
When I read the piece I was reminded of a small Christmas party I went to 19 months ago. The children of the hosts were College students. When I asked them what the feeling on campus was regarding the war I was met with silence. When I prodded a little more they said they had not heard much and quickly walked away from me.
It is my experience that most citizens do not care enough about the war to keep themselves informed. Especially those citizens espousing support for the president. Where I live the majority of my neighbors are vehemently opposed to the war. Where I work the feeling is one of faith that the president is somehow going to pull off a Hollywood ending to this unpleasant episode. A few months ago I solicited both communities for supplies that a relative of mine could use in Iraq. My neighbors overwhelmingly supported the initiative. My work community's support was nil. The one person in the office (quietly)not supporting the President flooded me with items. No one else gave anything!
I have been strongly opposed to this war since it's planning stages. When the shooting started I muted my protests in support of the soldiers. I may have been mistaken. I believe that at present muted protest is complicity in an immoral war.
I regret that Captain Duresky, my relatives and fellow citizens fighting this war are victims of an anesthesized citizenry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Here is a link to the editorial:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/04/AR2006070400790.html

Good stuff, thanks for the post.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home