My Photo
Name:
Location: Oak Lawn, IL

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Spear tip of American Foreign Policy


Yesterday I went with "S"to Walter Reed Army Hospital. I was fairly stressed walking through the hospital as I am ANY time I am in a hospital. I enjoyed seeing all the military people and the feeling that in this hospital someone was in charge. That's an old military joke ,but it did feel good.
I had been in the hospital for some time and was dealing with the stress that "S" was about to be put through a much more invasive procedure than originally thought. The nurse then found a way to get rid of me and make me feel useful at the same time. They sent me to pick up the meds "S" would need after the procedure. Due to some normal SNAFUs on several levels, it actually took over 2.5 hours to pick up these meds. That was 15 minutes less time than it was before "S" was released from post-op. It kept me busy and focused on things other than the immediate concern.

Walking through the hallways of Walter Reed turned out to be an emotional experience. I saw a robust looking young soldier walking toward me and only as he passed me in the hallway did I glance down and notice his prosthetic left leg. I was surprised that I even glanced down because the young soldier's walk was so unnoticeable. I was happy that this soldier walked with such confidence. I was worried that I was going to overanalyze the experience. I know myself way to well.

That soldier didn't need anything from me. He walked like a soldier with a purpose. But it was then that I remembered that this place was full of soldiers like him. Some much worse off. I thought back to the autumn of 2002 when Congress abdicated its power to a disturbed president. I wondered if I could have done more to prevent this war. A letter to a Congressman or Senator seems awfully lame at this point. Attending an antiwar demonstration in DC on a freezing cold Sunday in January was also weak. Why did we send these kids to a place where anyone with any sense could see that WE do not belong there.

If it was not such a disturbance to all the wonderful work being performed at the hospital it would not be a bad idea for all of us to witness what happens to those who are chosen to forcefully implement American diplomacy after the diplomats fail.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Nice profile! Thanks for sharing, good luck.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Tom Warner, Almost Hip Guy said...

Love the Walter Reed post. I'm with you about this great waste of American lives - and limbs.

5:54 PM  
Blogger cjb said...

Joe maybe you feel better after yesterday's election I know I do.My heart goes out to all the service men and women who have sacrificed life and limb for us. After yesterday I heard a loud ENOUGH.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home